Wednesday, February 22, 2017

'A moment in time' writing- NZ 1800s

WALT: write to describe a moment in time so that our audience can visualise what it was like to live in NZ back in the 1800s.

Success Criteria
  • Add detail by using a range of language features
  • Include a some of the 5 senses.
  • Use proper nouns
  • Use present tense 
  • Include topic specific vocabulary.

In the 1800’s
As I woke up I got changed into my corset, bonnet, and apron.  My brother delicately changed into his shirt, coat, top hat, and trousers.
We had an usual selection of eggs, bread, vegetables, fruit, fish, or meat.
After breakfast I went for a walk and saw all the forests around me.
I was watching the Maori fighting over stuff.
 I decided to go back to our hut and decided to get a loaf of bread to trade for a blanket made of feathers. As I traded I walked back home to do cleaning and to look after the baby.
I was looking forward to lunch as I put the pot above the fire, mmmmmm, soup.
I finished all the chores and meals including putting the baby to bed.
I finally fell asleep in my bed and dreamt about all the extreme chores I had to do tomorrow!   

By Keira

My Life 200 years ago

I was woken up by my papa (father) and he told me that we were going to hopu (hunt) kararehe (animals) for rauemi (resources). So I got out of my tira (hammock) and I put on my tapahu. After, my papa and I got our whakatu rakau (weapons) and went hopu.

My papa told me that we were first going to the kokihi (beach) to hopu seals. The whakatu rakau that we used were taiaha and (long-handled fight staff) pouwhenua (pointed fighting staff). My papa used the taiaha and I used the pouwhenua.

When we got the the kokihi, we found rua (two) seals. We hid behind rocks and waited for the seals to come close enough for us to patua (kill) our taonga (prey). When the seals were about rua (three) metres away from us, my papa and I whakaeke (attacked) the seals with our whakatu rakau!!!

My papa and I kept hitting the seals with all our kaha (might) until they were lying down on the ground dead. When my papa and I finished them off, we carried them in big sacks and went back to our wharepuni (house).

When we got back to our wharepuni, we cooked the seals until they were super juicy and tenderised. It was so delicious that I wanted to go hunting for more juicy food.

By Joshua

How The Maori lived in The 1800s
I woke up this morning and got out of my moenga whaka werewere⇐(hammock) and get ready for my day. I get up and go to put my kakahu on. My kakahu⇐(cloak) is made of bird feathers and is very comfortable. I go out with my patu⇐(bone breaking stone) and my toa⇐(short spear) to go hunting for animals. I walk down into the jungle wilderness and I heard the sound of the water from the Waikato River rushing downwards.
I step around as quiet as a mouse so nothing hears me.I hear something moving in the bush ahead. I see a wild dog. I get closer and closer. I throw my toa at it’s legs it was a clear shoot and it falls to the ground. I walk up to it and take out my patu. It frantically tries to get away. I slash it over and over with my patu. It died with one hit and I take it back to my wharepuni⇐(house) to go and cook the dog then I can have a meal.
I go to light my fire. It takes a few moments for me to get the fire going. I put up two sicks in the ground facing up and one across. I put the dog on to the stick going across the top of the fire. I waited until it’s cooked but meanwhile it was cooking I went out to find some pakeha to trade with for some species. I hear some pakeha talking so I go to trade. I come back and my food looks and smells cooked so I put spice on my food and ate it.
I go down to the beach with my line with a hook on the end of it. I get in my waka and go out into the deep ocean to go fishing. I go to a deepish spot and throw my line down with some of the leftover dog meat. When I think it’s on the bottom I wait. The line starts to go out. A fish is hooked so I pull with all of my might. I pull and I pull and I pull. It’s finally up on the top of the water so I grab it and throw it into the boat and go back to the shore.
I get back to my wharepuni but on the way I go to some other pakeha. I trade them my fish for a musket. I head back because it is getting dark. I get back and lie down in my moenga whaka werewere. I go to sleep and rest before tomorrow starts.
By William